Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesday's Recipe...Easy Chocolate Layered Cake

I love to cook but lately when it comes to birthdays it is much easier to order a professional cake...until now:) This recipe is so easy and sooooo good! The youngest turned two recently and we had a lovely polka dot party. (more pictures in another post) Recipe at the bottom... of the page I used neon food coloring in the frosting to get my pink and green.

Cake Recipe is as follows...
-1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
-1 package Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
-1 cup sour cream
-1 cup vegetable oil
-4 eggs, beaten
-1/2 cup milk
-1 tsp vanilla
-12 oz. mini semisweet chocolate chips (one bag)

Butter cream Frosting
-1 cup shortening (crisco)
-4 cups powdered sugar
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

For the Cake
* Preheat oven to 350° F. In a VERY large bowl, mix together everything
except chocolate chips. Batter will be thick. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into greased 9 inch cake pans. Bake for 40 minutes... then do the toothpick test for best results. Bake another 5 minutes if not quite ready.
For the Frosting
* In a mixing bowl, cream shortening until fluffy. Add sugar and continue
creaming until well blended. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream. Blend
on low speed until moistened. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy. If you choose to color the frosting then separate into bowls for the different colors and proceed from there.
This cake needs to be stored in the refrigerator and is the best if made a day ahead of time. Enjoy... it is a keeper!!!!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

This cake looks fabulous! I love the cute polka-dots and sour cream with chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combos. I can't wait to try it. BTW, I saw the link on TT&J.

Kelli W said...

That looks so good! Box mixes always seem crumbly to me, but yours looks really moist! I may have to try all your recipe next time we need a cake:) Thanks for sharing.

Camille said...

Thank you so much for posting this- I am also looking for the perfect chocolate cake. :) It looks so yummy.
I am your newest follower . . . and I would love to have you follow me back!
Thanks!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com